Demonstrated Results in Complex, Large-Scale Litigation
The skilled trial lawyers of Norman and Graves, LLC have prevailed against some of the largest corporations in the world in class action lawsuits, securing compensation on behalf of consumers and plaintiff groups who lack the resources to pursue a lawsuit on their own. We have served, and are currently serving, as lead or co-lead counsel in numerous high-profile cases.
Based in Kansas City, we have represented plaintiff groups throughout Missouri, Kansas and across the United States in various class action cases. If you believe you have a case or may qualify for participation in a pending class action, call us at (816) 895-8989.
Norman and Graves, LLC engages in actions on behalf of diverse classes of clients, such as:
- Individuals and Businesses that pay artificially inflated prices for products caused by price-fixing agreements or other anticompetitive conduct by large corporations
- Consumers who purchased defective products or were harmed by unfair business practices or false advertising
- Investors victimized by the fraudulent conduct of corporations, limited partnerships and LLCs in connection with the purchase or sale of securities
- Borrowers who were the target of predatory lending practices by lenders who charge exorbitant interest rates for loans
- Employees of a company who have not been paid overtime compensation or are not allowed to take adequate meal or rest breaks
What Is a Class Action?
A class action is a lawsuit brought by one or more individuals, commonly referred to as "class representatives," on behalf of a larger group, or "class," of individuals who have similar claims. The purpose of a class action lawsuit is to combine numerous claims of individuals into one action brought before a single judge to seek a legal remedy for all members of the class.
The Procedure of a Class Action
Norman and Graves, LLC files a lawsuit on behalf of one or more plaintiffs.
Norman and Graves, LLC moves to certify the case as a class action. If the court agrees that all criteria are met for class certification, it certifies the case to continue as a class action lawsuit.
All members of the class are notified and given the option to "opt in" or "opt out." Those who opt out do not benefit from the result of the class action litigation — they must take their chances in individual lawsuits. Those who remain in the class action are typically bound by the judgment or settlement obtained.
Once certified, many class actions are resolved prior to trial. The parties often negotiate a settlement and present it to the court for approval. If the court approves the settlement, or if the case goes to trial and plaintiffs win a judgment, class members are notified of how to make a claim for relief.
Typically, the client in a class action is not responsible for any attorneys' fees or costs of litigation. After resolution of the case, Norman and Graves, LLC asks the court to order the defendant to pay those fees and costs.
To learn how our class action attorneys can help you, please contact us online or call us for a free initial consultation at (816) 895-8989.