What should i do if i’m involved in an auto accident?
There are a few steps you should take after an auto accident to protect your health and your rights to compensation:
- Get medical attention. Even if you don’t think you’re injured, it’s important to get medical attention right away, as some injuries may be internal or may take time to show.
- Write down what happened. The details of the accident are important for your attorney, but they may get hazy over time. Write down what happened as soon as you can after the accident.
- Talk to witnesses. Witness statements can help strengthen your claim for compensation. Get their names, phone numbers, physical addresses, and email addresses, as your attorney will be interested in speaking with them.
- Call a lawyer. The insurance company may soon try to get you to sign away your rights to compensation, but calling an attorney immediately after the accident can help you stay protected.
No matter how your crash happened, our Kansas City auto accident attorneys want to help you get compensation for your medical bills and lost wages. Get in touch with our law firm by dialing (816) 895-8989 or completing a free online consultation form.
What are the most common causes of auto accidents?
Auto accidents can be caused by a variety of factors, but some of the most common causes include:
- Distracted Driving
Drivers who are texting, talking on cell phones, changing radio stations, or having conversations with passengers are less likely to pay attention to the road. That can cause them to lose focus momentarily and cause collisions.
- Poor Road Conditions
Local and state governments are responsible for maintaining the condition of roadways at all times. If they fail to address issues like potholes, missing guard rails, and sudden elevation changes, drivers may lose control of their vehicles and crash.
- Manufacturer Errors
Car manufacturers are held to high standards for every vehicle they make, because when parts fail, vehicles may crash and drivers and passengers can suffer serious injuries.
What can I get compensation for?
There are three things you can generally receive compensation for after an auto accident:
- Medical Bills
Whether the at-fault party is another driver, the car manufacturer, or a governmental body responsible for maintaining the roadway, that party may be responsible for paying your medical bills after the accident.
- Lost Wages
In addition to your medical bills, you may be eligible to receive compensation to replace any wages you lost as a result of being too injured to work.
- Pain and Suffering
If your car accident caused you to suffer serious physical and emotional pain, those damages may be included in your settlement from the insurance company or responsible party.
What should I do if the insurance company contacts me after an accident?
Once your accident is reported, representatives from either your or the at-fault party’s insurance company may contact you. It’s important to avoid speaking with them, as they may pressure you into signing a settlement worth far less than what an experienced Kansas City auto accident attorney at Norman and Graves could get you.
When should I call a lawyer?
Not every accident requires the help of a personal injury attorney. You should contact a car accident lawyer in Kansas City if your injury affects your quality of life, causes you pain and suffering, causes you to miss time at work, or may affect your earning potential in the future. An experienced lawyer from Norman and Graves can take the stress of the accident off your shoulders by:
- Protecting you from the insurance company’s demands
- Collecting evidence and building a strong claim
- Completing and submitting all settlement-related forms on time
- Standing by you in court, if necessary
Don’t go it alone after your accident—get an experienced Kansas City auto accident attorney on your side. We’ve been helping victims like you for over a decade, so you can trust our experience and our results. If you don’t need a lawyer, we’ll tell you. If we can help, we’ll get started on your case immediately with no upfront costs and no attorney’s fees unless you get compensation. So contact us today and get the legal help you deserve.